History

Ballina hockey was established in the late 1920s. The women first established their club followed by the men shortly after. The exact date of the start of hockey in Ballina has been lost in time but recourse to old newspaper articles published in the ‘Northern Star’ (our local newspaper), indicate Ballina boasted a men and a women’s team in 1929. A Far North Coast Men’s Hockey Association point score published in August that year showed Ballina men were on the bottom of the table.

Competition hockey officially dates from 1930 with both men and women teams finding success in their early years. With the women winning their first grand final in 1933 and the men in 1936. Gordon Whitehead was the Club’s first state representative player selected in 1937, followed the year after by Laurie Felsch in 1938.

1939 NSW Hockey Team – starring our first two Ballina Hockey Club representatives, Gordon Whitehead and Laurie Felsch

After a brief lapse during the early years of the World War II, the Club reformed in 1944 and continued to grow with its home grounds at Clement Park (now Ballina High School grounds, McDonald Park). The fields at the time were maintained by Club members.

By the early 1950s the Club boasted our first junior teams, with our boys winning their first major premiership in 1958.

The 1980s saw a strong dominance of our A grade women under the coaching of Joy Teakin, they won 5 out of 7 grand finals during this period. 1988 saw the amalgamation of the men, women and junior clubs as a united Ballina Hockey Club.

2000 saw our Club’s 70th reunion. A booklet outlining the Club’s history in greater detail including old newspaper clippings and photos was researched and compiled by Chris Abbott and Maureen Bradbury (& others) for this auspicious occasion.

Ballina Hockey Club dominated the Mens’ Far North Coast A Grade competition in the 2000’s winning the A grade premierships in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and runners up in 2006. As one of the oldest clubs in the Association its continued success has been attributed to the great camaraderie that has always existed within its players and loyal supporters.

Club timelines

1929
First Ballina teams enter the Far North Coast Association competition.
1930
Ballina Men and Women Hockey Clubs formed.
1937
Ballina’s first NSW state representatives selected (Gordon Whitehead).
1950
First Ballina junior boys’ team enters the Far North Coast competition.
1979
The Club’s home grounds (grass) changed from Clement Park (now Ballina High School grounds) to Kingsford Smith Park .
1980
Amalgamation of men and junior boys’ clubs.
1983
Ballina junior girls and Ballina High School teams become part of the women’s club.
1983
A breakaway ” East Ballina ” Club formed (rejoining in 1986).
1983
The brick club house at Kingsford Smith Park , jointly operated with Ballina Netball Association, was completed.
1984
Flood lights installed at Kingsford Smith Park (relocated from Hampton Park ).
1986
Ballina’s first Australian representative player selected (Nikki Roche, Australian U21).
1989
Ballina men and women clubs amalgamate.
1992
Ballina boasted the most state and NSW country junior representatives of any club in NSW.
1992
The Club commences procuring an artificial surface at Kingsford Smith Park (unsuccessfully).
1994
Sand-based turf built at Goonellabah. All first and second division games now played on the turf.
2006
The Club submits a development application to Ballina Council for the construction of a water based turf at Kingsford Smith Park .
2007
Creation of the Club’s website.
2010
Application for turf approved and funding obtained. First sod turned for the artificial surface in August.
2011
Ballina Hockey and Sports Complex (turf and new club house) completed and first games played in March.

Sponsors

  •  

We would like to thank all the organisations that support the Ballina Hockey Club. To view a full list, visit the Ballina Hockey Sponsors Page.

Ballina hockey was established in the late 1920s. The women first established their club followed by the men shortly after. The exact date of the start of hockey in Ballina has been lost in time but recourse to old newspaper articles published in the ‘Northern Star’ (our local newspaper), indicate Ballina boasted a men and a women’s team in 1929. A Far North Coast Men’s Hockey Association point score published in August that year showed Ballina men were on the bottom of the table.

Competition hockey officially dates from 1930 with both men and women teams finding success in their early years. With the women winning their first grand final in 1933 and the men in 1936. Gordon Whitehead was the Club’s first state representative player selected in 1937, followed the year after by Laurie Felsch in 1938.

1939 NSW Hockey Team – starring our first two Ballina Hockey Club representatives, Gordon Whitehead and Laurie Felsch

After a brief lapse during the early years of the World War II, the Club reformed in 1944 and continued to grow with its home grounds at Clement Park (now Ballina High School grounds, McDonald Park ). The fields at the time were maintained by Club members.

By the early 1950s the Club boasted our first junior teams, with our boys winning their first major premiership in 1958.

The 1980s saw a strong dominance of our A grade women under the coaching of Joy Teakin, they won 5 out of 7 grand finals during this period. 1988 saw the amalgamation of the men, women and junior clubs as a united Ballina Hockey Club.

2000 saw our Club’s 70th reunion. A booklet outlining the Club’s history in greater detail including old newspaper clippings and photos was researched and compiled by Chris Abbott and Maureen Bradbury (& others) for this auspicious occasion.

Ballina Hockey Club dominated the Mens’ Far North Coast A Grade competition in the 2000’s winning the A grade premierships in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and runners up in 2006. As one of the oldest clubs in the Association its continued success has been attributed to the great camaraderie that has always existed within its players and loyal supporters.

Club Timelines

1929
First Ballina teams enter the Far North Coast Association competition.
1930
Ballina Men and Women Hockey Clubs formed.
1937
Ballina’s first NSW state representatives selected (Gordon Whitehead).
1950
First Ballina junior boys’ team enters the Far North Coast competition.
1979
The Club’s home grounds (grass) changed from Clement Park (now Ballina High School grounds) to Kingsford Smith Park .
1980
Amalgamation of men and junior boys’ clubs.
1983
Ballina junior girls and Ballina High School teams become part of the women’s club.
1983
A breakaway ” East Ballina ” Club formed (rejoining in 1986).
1983
The brick club house at Kingsford Smith Park , jointly operated with Ballina Netball Association, was completed.
1984
Flood lights installed at Kingsford Smith Park (relocated from Hampton Park ).
1986
Ballina’s first Australian representative player selected (Nikki Roche, Australian U21).
1989
Ballina men and women clubs amalgamate.
1992
Ballina boasted the most state and NSW country junior representatives of any club in NSW.
1992
The Club commences procuring an artificial surface at Kingsford Smith Park (unsuccessfully).
1994
Sand-based turf built at Goonellabah. All first and second division games now played on the turf.
2006
The Club submits a development application to Ballina Council for the construction of a water based turf at Kingsford Smith Park .
2007
Creation of the Club’s website.
2010
Application for turf approved and funding obtained. First sod turned for the artificial surface in August.
2011
Ballina Hockey and Sports Complex (turf and new club house) completed and first games played in March.